What do we mean?
Defined broadly ... Organizational Development (often referred to as "OD") might be described as the practice of helping organizations identify issues, find proactive, sustainable solutions for those trouble spots, achieve deeper meaning and success, and reach their goals. At least ... That's how we define it.
In our work within this thing we call "organizational life" ... We commit to clients not only to meet initial goals. We also give our clients the tools and skills they need to harness and embrace a bright future. We are committed to both assuring our clients foster excellence and encourage change, since the former can't truly be accomplished without the latter.
why does it matter?
Because it just does. Duh.
Fact is ... There are all sorts of arguably valid, useful lenses through which to view the work of organizational development. At Querencia, we embrace those myriad views, while also owning our own biases, experience, and expertise ... In organizational life, our "querenciatic" lens emphasizes the foundational importance of three things:
1. Kickass Organizational Culture. Yep. We said it. Kickass. Organizational culture is not just jargon, trend, or lip-service for us. We know that a conscious, deliberate, tended-to organizational culture is THE key foundation for successful, profitable, healthy organizational life.
Every organization has its own culture. Since many employees spend 40 or more hours at their workplace, their organization’s culture cannot help but affect both their work and personal lives. Far too many organizations let culture arise without intention, making the presence of negativity, inefficiency, employee disengagement, and a host of other preventable failures a seemingly unavoidable outcome.
Don't do that. Work with us.
2. Supported, Sustainable Leadership. There are all sorts of beliefs about leadership. Are leaders born? Made? Neither? Both? Hmmm ...
Here's our take. We think that it takes a bit of all kinds of things to pave the way for great leadership. What we know is this ... Leadership - especially the good kind - is a developmental, ongoing, evolving process. That holds true for everyone, from the most successful and universally loved CEO to the shy fifth grader running for class president for the first time.
Leaders can - and should - be supported and developed. At every step of their journeys. At all levels of organizations. In their personal and "other" lives. In teams. As individuals. Everywhere. All the time.
That's what we do.
3. Inspired, Effective Systems. Undoubtedly, our first two priorities lay the foundation for the third. That said, process management - key details like strategic focusing, visioning, systems design, and ongoing planning and execution - doesn't magically happen just because an organization has a great culture and amazing leadership. The nuts and bolts still matter. A lot.
We can help with those, too.
How does querencia work with organizations?
We work with all kinds of clients in all kinds of settings on:
- organizational development,
- executive & management coaching,
- tools for emerging leaders,
- employee recruitment, selection, engagement, and retention
- strategic focus,
- planning & execution,
- systems (re)design,
- and much more
Who should work with us?
You should. Your former employer should. You favorite boss should. And your least favorite boss ... He really should. If you're interested in doing organizational work through our favorite lenses and with the expectation of truly awesome results, get in touch. Let's work together to make it happen.